Friday, February 5, 2010

friday in whoville

Hooray!! I thought this day would never come!

This weekend will be relaxing... K and I are heading over to Log Town Farm on Saturday to hang out with my smelly old dog while my parents are in Rhode Island, then coming back on Sunday to watch the Superbowl with some friends. We were planning to experience the sporting event at a local bar (and eat sweet potato fries!), but the new plan seems more social. Besides, the local bar/restaurant in question doesn't deserve us. Dear Reservoir: I may never forgive you for removing the best veggie burger ever from your menu, but my fury has subsided somewhat and I suppose I might be ready to give the new burger a chance... someday.

Speaking of (once) favorite local restaurants, there is a waitress at one oft-frequented eating establishment who always has her hair piled on top of her head in all kinds of curlicued crazy ways. Somewhere a comparison was drawn to the Whos down in Whoville and it stuck--we can't go to the restaurant anymore without chuckling about her Seuss-styled hair.

(This is the best hair-related photo I could find of Whos, but it's really more like Chanel Spring 2010, which I totally love but can't imagine thinking of as daily hair-wear.)
Annnnyway, the reason I even brought waitress-who-shall-remain-nameless into this in the first place is that today's outfit made me think of her Who-hair--it's so colorful and childlike, I feel like a Dr. Seuss character. But while we're on the subject, that reminds me! Whoville is awesome and I want to live there:

I finally got around to watching Horton Hears a Who last year (which according to Wikipedia is supposed to be an allegory for the American post-WWII occupation of Japan [if that's the case, never mind, I don't particularly want to live there]--who knew?!--I thought it was simply meant to be a lesson about the insignificance of humanity and/or an attempt to encourage respect and love for all living things [no matter how small], Lorax-style), which I had been avoiding because I was so unimpressed with Jim Carrey as the Grinch that I never even watched it. But Horton was so charming and lovely, I adored it! I'm going to pretend that fine film was my daily outfit inspiration for today, because that's so much cooler than calling it an accident.

(green tweed jumper: SnapVintage on etsy; tights: HUE; shoes: DSW; scarf: Anne Klein, thiscouldbeyou on etsy; shirt: TJMaxx)

DISCLAIMER: I do not have dandruff. The white flakes in the first photograph are a little thing called snow. Maybe you've heard of it?

4 comments:

  1. Adorable outfit! I've wanted mustard yellow tights all season, but chickened out.. they look great with this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! we own that movie, it is wonderful. i usually don't even watch cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this outfit! You look fantastic! I watched Horton Hears a Who a few months ago. I really liked it. I was so happy at the end I cried! Ha! The tights are awesome btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I LOVE Horton Hears A Who! That movie makes me so happy whenever I see it. "I wonder what ASAP means? Must be Act Swiftly Awesome Pachyderm."
    :] Also, I love your mix of patterns and textures!

    ReplyDelete