Wednesday, June 30, 2010

wanderlust wednesday: st maarten

For the next few weeks, in honor of hump day and my neverending wanderlust, I will be self-indulgently reliving a few of the "big" international trips I've taken over the years. I've got to keep that inspirational fire burning!

Photobucket

(view from the balcony of our hotel room)

The only exciting spring break I ever had during my collegiate years was spent with two of my closest friends on the Dutch side of a small island in the Caribbean, St. Maarten. My family has spent a week at Cape Cod every year for as long as I can remember, but I had never spent a week-long vacation at a tropical locale (sans chaperone)... and it was certainly an experience!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Every morning we would get up with the sun and spend the first half of the day like so:

Photobucket

After briefly breaking for a blended beverage at the surfside tiki bar (guavaberry coladas=so.good.)....

Photobucket

...and a trip to the market for smoked gouda and crackers (our daily lunch), we would spend the second half of the day like this:

Photobucket

Sometimes we would switch it up and spend a couple of hours lounging around the hotel pool, which was also within spitting distance of that beautiful cerulean sea. In the early AM or at the onset of evening, we would enjoy a fruity drink on the balcony...

Photobucket

...and then we would dine...

Photobucket

...and drink...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

...and dance the night away...

Photobucket

...until it was time to get up and greet the sun and the sand all over again the next day.

Photobucket

(and one day we went shopping)

It was a fantastic week with some pretty fantastic ladies. I hope we can all make a trip to the tropics again sometime very soon (bachelorette weekend, perhaps?)!

1 comment:

  1. It looks beautiful there! Looks like you've had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete