Tuesday, March 29, 2011

by the side of the road

Photobucket

Yeah, that smile is a lie. I am not at all pleased that the skies decided to dump on me again today. It's almost goddamned April, already (the adage calls for April showers, not April snow showers). Funny thing is, I didn't even know it was snowing when I got dressed for the Gothic Harajuku Christmas Carol this morning.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(tunic: tjmaxx; headband/necklace: forever 21; tights: hue; shoes: payless)

Last night K and I went to a semi-advanced screening of Julien Schnabel's (of Basquiat fame) new film, Miral, which I thought was fantastic. The film was based on the girlhood diaries of a Palestinian journalist (Rula Jebreal, who also penned the screenplay) and her life growing up at the heart of the Israel-Palestine conflict. I thought the decision to make the film from a Palestinian point of view offered an oft-ignored perspective, and the general message that education and understanding can be great forces for good in the world was one we somehow still seem to need to be reminded of. There was a Q&A after the screening with Jon Kilik, a UVM grad and the film's producer, who has quite an impressive resume and has worked with the likes of Woody Allen and Spike Lee (he is also currently dating Jebreal, who does look remarkably like the film's star, Freida Pinto). I definitely recommend going to see the film if it comes to your area (it is currently showing only in NYC and LA), and I definitely recommend to myself that I keep track of these incredible free events on college campuses around town. Four years out of university, I had forgotten that there still existed a place where you could gather to watch and learn for free :)

Miral is a red flower.
It grows by the side of the road.
You've probably seen millions of them.

8 comments:

  1. That movie sounds really interesting! I'll have to try and see it!
    You look so lovely! That dress is adorable and I love your hair bow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes, free and educational is a one-two punch of awesome! I love the tunic and your red tights! I know, winter can't last forever... or can it?!?! Spring, where you at?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That movie sounds very interesting, isn't it wonderful getting something educational for free? Rarely happens!!
    I love this plaid dress, it looks sooo comfortable. It looks great with the red tights! I am so sick of winter too. Urgh
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it is still snowing and winter-y in this country! love those tights and that dress, though. you look pretty cheery despite the dreadful weather! Where's spring?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a flannel dress even if the weather shouldn't require you to wear it. You look cute despite the new snow, ugg

    ReplyDelete
  6. best use of red tights and plaid everrrrrrrr


    my nailpolish is from H&M btw! something with banana in the name :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. SNOW??!?! What the eff. Seriously.

    On the upside, you look gorgeous! I love that necklace so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you look adorable! I'm so sorry it's still snowing :(

    thank you so much for your breakup advice. it really made me feel better and I'm following it! Love the idea of meeting someone new...

    Thanks again!

    sunshinepearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete